This was sent to me as one of those “chain” emails. You know, if you pass this on to 20 friends we can change the world. Sorry, I just don’t do the forwarding thing. I did find this interesting enough to share here though. If you enjoy this, reblog it, stumble it, recommend it, or whatever you do to show your approval. Thanks ~ sekanblogger
1. Term Limits – 12 years max, some possible options are below.
A. Two Six-year Senate terms
B. Six Two-year House terms
C. One Six-year Senate term and three Two-Year House terms
2. No Tenure / No Pension
Members of Congress receive a salary while in office, that salary ends when they leave office.
3. Congress members (past, present & future) are to participate in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately.
All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with all Americans.
4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
6. Congress loses their current health care system….
and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
7. Members of Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
8. All contracts with past and present members of Congress are void effective 1/1/12.
The American people did not make the contracts members of Congress enjoy, in fact, Congress made all these contracts for themselves.
Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career.
The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, Congressmen should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work like the rest of us. NOT AS LOBBYISTS.
- Sen: Sherrod Brown: Congress Should Have Same Retirement Age As Public In Spirit of ‘Shared Sacrifice’ (crooksandliars.com)
- “Congress Reform Act of 2011″ (atcservices.wordpress.com)
- Should Congress make a ‘shared sacrifice’ by cutting its pay, benefits? (cnn.com)
- Congressional Reform (worldofgrandpadon.wordpress.com)
- Ladies and Gentlemen Lets Fix Congress (socyberty.com)
8 responses to “How To “Fix” Congress (in 8 easy steps)”
Stepping outside the Congress, I’d add a few more:
remove redistricting from legislatures and put in the hands of an outside panel
abolish primaries or open them to all voters
dissolve the “presidential debate commission’ which is run by the parties and return the job to the League of Women Voters
shorten the ‘season’ in national elections. For congress, governing for one year and then running for the second year means they’re not governing. This one would be impossible probaly, since it’s a first amendment thing, but one can dream.
undo Citizens United and require all campaign contributions to be transparent immediatly. All TV ads to carry the name of who is paying and easy access to who is funding the payer.
OF COURSE, the last two are probably impossible – the First Amendment. But a girl can dream.
I’m all for it.
Something has to be done, as the two party system won’t allow a third and/or a 4th party to be involved, except the independents, which you know, some of them vote in which way the wind is blowing that day.
Whether it’s your Congress of our House of Commons, it all seems pretty damn reasonable to me.
Power corrupts, and so we end up with the corrupt in power.
Amen Brother! You know, I always get a kick out of how rowdy your political bunch in the U.K. seem when I see the clips on TV. I also like the notion that you can vote out the Speaker at any time! We should be so lucky.
Where do I sign?
I think the greatest temptations are in the connections politicians have to corporations, and in the out-of-control campaign funding.
If we could return to a focus on campaign funding reform and give it teeth then a normal person– let me rephrase– a non-wealthy person could run for high office and have a chance.
Interesting stuff. An addition …. no lobbying job until 2 years out of office.
Plus, all expenses by members of Congress are reported to the public.
BTW … see that pic reminds me of the the videos on the late night shows having JB bonk NP with the gavel. What a hoot.
Pingback: 7 easy steps as to how to FIX CONGRESS!!! by Scott Remington, Guest Blogger for Bonju Blog « THE WORD WARRIOR Bonju Blog